I just lost my entire LD48 web tree - my log, my screenshots, all
gone. The game's still around, but... Lesson learned: back up your
That said, here's my reconstruction of the log, and the new stuff
Pre-contest: Plenty of brainstorming on themes that weren't
picked. Tested Py2EXE 0.5, which didn't seem to like to work with
OpenGL. So I went back to 0.41. (And ended up not using OpenGL after
Friday Night, April 16th: Brainstormed much. Decided on a multiplayer
game (with minimal bot AI) where the players have to fight over a
crowd of semi-autonomous NPC creatures. Add in a few powerups, it may
Got Splitscreen display of floor tiles and placeholder player avatar
Wrote simple map reader code
Placeholder pickup art
Saturday Morning, April 17th: NPC creature movement (still placeholder
Map walls block movement of PCs
NPC vs NPC collision system (extent testing in x)
NPCs infect one another, PCs interact with NPC immunity levels.
Pickup spawner, pickups can be picked up
Saturday afternoon and evening, April 17th:
- Clouds (the mechanic behind missiles and bombs) work.
- second pass on pickups/HUD art
- Sound fx for pickups, game over
- game over detection, context sensitive win screen
- Second pass on PC "infectatron" art
- Second pass on NPC "protoplasmoid" art
- Py2EXE test
- COMPLETE LOSS OF MY WEB CONTENT. Sigh. No early screenshots, no
log, save what you're reading now. Back up your content, boys and
girls. Good news, the game is safe.
Sunday morning, April 18th:
- Main menu skeleton
- Reconstructed log
- Tweaked score display
- Menu screens
Sunday afternoon, April 18th:
- Entered in reconstructed log (from here on out, it's all new
- got some menus working
- got a demo mode working
- tested 1 player vs ai with fullscreen viewport for the first
- imported time, so I could call time.time(), just as the Bangles
began singing "hazy shade of winter", which begins "Time, time,
- Suspect I'm getting punchy.
- Implemented keyboard control.
- Made Instructions screen.
- Decided on punting on options menu.
- Gracefully(?) handle lack of joysticks
- Cleaned up as much as I care to. I've got 8 maps, single and
multi player, joystick and keyboard support. Fullscreen's supported,
but for some reason has terrible frame rate. Didn't manage to get
different tilesets in. Time to write a readme and make a zip file.
My LD48 Home